Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blog Assignment 5

1. My biggest accomplishment in the midterm was definitely
creating a meaningful artwork while keeping in mind the
importance of aesthetics. The actual creation in photoshop
was pretty simple selections and layering, but there were several
different aspects of meaning in the work. I was really happy
with how my idea evolved from the brainstorming into a metaphorical
idea that we are bound to reality, preventing us from reaching our
fantasies (which is more than just finding images of my reality
and images of my fantasies in my brainstorming).

2. The most difficult project for me was the masking project.
Whether this was because there were several steps involved and
combined most everything that we learned otherwise, or just because
I am not as familiar with it, I do not know. I have had a little
Photoshop experience, butnever with masking. I do not feel,
however, that I have completely mastered it and need a little more
work. One technique I feel I really mastered was the many types
of selections. I only knew of a couple before coming into the
class (such as lassos and shape selections) but I wasn't aware
of the magic wand or the other selection tools in the menu bar
(i.e. select>shadows) that make selections quicker and more efficient.

3. For the quizzes we did in class time was limited and therefore the outcome of the project was not as great as they could have been. For the make-up/retouching quiz I chose an image that would display my ability to use Photoshop technically rather than as a meaning making tool and way to create an aesthetically pleasing piece like was done with the midterm. The midterm was separated into different stages and was given a lot more time for the idea to develop, which for me led to a well-thought out piece, as well as a piece that followed the elements of design. You can see in the images that while both demonstrate technical skill, the make-up image is very simple and image choice is not very strong. The midterm, however, has several layers of meaning in the many layers that are represented.


No comments:

Post a Comment